I was such a picky eater when I was a child – I ate just a handful of vegetables, and green ones definitely weren’t on my list. Luckily, this has changed and now I love cooking with fresh green veggies. This Broccoli Asparagus Soup is packed with incredible nutrients and vitamins, it’s smooth, creamy and has an amazing flavour. In addition, there’s nothing better than a comforting, hearty soup.
This creamy soup is made with incredible vegetables and simple ingredients and seasonings.
- Broccoli and Asparagus: The main ingredients in this soup. This combo is so delicious.
- Onion and Garlic: I just can’t get them enough! I would even add them to my breakfast oats.
- Chicken or Vegetable Stock: It brings all the flavours together.
- Lemon Juice: Brightens and intensifies the taste of the soup.
- Heavy Cream: It gives that amazing creaminess. If you want a dairy free but still creamy soup, you could add a diced potato instead. Let it cook with the asparagus and broccoli until fork tender.
- Goat Cheese: I just love topping soup with this creamy, salty and tangy cheese. However, grated Parmesan cheese would be a delicious option.
How to make Creamy Broccoli Asparagus Soup
Soups are so easy to make! You can have this recipe done in just 30 minutes.
- Cook onions in butter until translucent over a medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the asparagus, broccoli, stock, salt and freshly ground black pepper and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup, blanch the asparagus tips and stir in heavy cream.
- Serve with tender-crisp asparagus tips, crumbled goat cheese and a drizzle of olive oil and heavy cream. Another delicious topping option would be a soft boiled or poached egg and some crunchy toast.
Healthy Broccoli Asparagus Soup
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb asparagus bottom ends trimmed
- 1 lb broccoli roughly chopped
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- goat cheese to serve
- olive oil extra virgin, to serve
- Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Snap the ends of the asparagus and chop the spears into 1 inch pieces, keeping some of the tips for garnish. Roughly chop the broccoli into equal pieces. Add them to the pot with the chicken or vegetable stock, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender.
- While the veggies cook, bring water to a boil in a small pot. Add the reserved asparagus tips and blanch for 3-5 minutes or until bright green and tender. Transfer the cooked asparagus tips in a bowl with ice-cold water to stop them from cooking. Set aside.
- After the vegetables are cooked, let the soup to cool for a few minutes, then carefully transfer to a blender to puree the soup. Blend until smooth and creamy. Return to the pot.
- Stir in lemon juice and heavy cream. Check for seasoning.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with reserved asparagus tips, crumbles of goat cheese and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle olive oil and more heavy cream if desired.