Side dishes are my favourite things to cook and I always like having a bunch of them. This way, anyone can pick and choose. Roasting is definitely the fool proof method of cooking vegetables – they consistently turn out delicious. Roasted carrots are no exception.
This roasted carrots recipe needs just a few ingredients. To deepen the caramel notes I use maple syrup. To balance the natural sweetness of the carrots, apple cider and apple cider vinegar are the best options. The butter adds a really nice richness to the sticky sauce. Thyme gives a sharp, minty and floral flavour to the overall sweet recipe.
To season this dish you just need salt and freshly ground black pepper.
These roasted carrots are served with dollops of velvety smooth fresh ricotta cheese and chopped pistachios for extra crunch. Instead of pistachios you could definitely use some chopped walnuts. Another incredible way to serve this is to spoon the ricotta 10 minutes before the carrots are done cooking. It will become super fluffy and soft.
If you want to be a little extra, add in some crushed garlic. It will roast along the carrots and it will give a much needed earthiness to this dish. To make the sauce less sweet, add 1 tbsp of lemon juice. This will help cut through the sweetness and brighten up everything.
The surprising and different textures, the sweet and fresh taste will make you want to eat these roasted carrots again and again. I like to have this side with chicken or turkey breast. Next time I will try it in a pasta recipe or on a nice piece of bread, I bet it will taste amazing.
You could try this Roasted Zucchinis with Ricotta and Mint recipe as well. Double the ricotta, double the fun.
Simple Roasted Carrots with Ricotta and Pistachios
- 8 large carrots cut into 4cm pieces
- 110 g unsalted butter cubed
- 150 g maple syrup
- 60 ml apple cider
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- 125 g ricotta cheese for serving
- pistachios roughly chopped, for serving
- Preheat oven to 230°C. In an oven safe deep pan toss cut carrots with maple syrup, apple cider, apple cider vinegar, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add cubed butter and fresh thyme.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes or until tender and slightly caramelised.
- When serving, spoon ricotta over the carrots and sprinkle with chopped pistachios and fresh thyme.