Cookies are so fun and easy to prepare, and they’re perfect to store in your freezer! You’ll love these Nutella Banana Cookies – they have a soft and chewy center, crumbly edges, banana flavour, impressive Nutella swirls and lots of chocolate chips. Also, there’s no such thing as classier combo than chocolate and banana. If you’re searching for a banana bread inspired cookie, this is the recipe for it.
Ingredients used in these Nutella Banana Bread Cookies
Do you have a ripe banana and you don’t want to throw it away? Prepare these incredible Nutella banana cookies, you can thank me later (haha). You’ll need basic ingredients and some delicious Nutella.
- Flour: I used all-purpose flour for this recipe. It helps with the structure and crumbly texture of the cookies.
- Baking Soda: This is the leavening agent – it helps the cookies to rise.
- Cornstarch: It thickens the dough and makes them super soft.
- Salt: It intensifies the chocolate flavour and balances the overall sweetness.
- Unsalted Butter: Adds lots of flavour. You should definitely use room temperature butter – leave it on the counter for about 1 hour or if you forget to take it out of the refrigerator, you can heat it in the microwave on defrost for 15 seconds intervals, turning the butter after each interval.
- Sugars: I used a combination of white and brown sugar. The granulated white sugar helps the cookies to spread, while the brown sugar makes them soft and adds incredible flavour.
- Eggs: I used one whole egg and one egg yolk. They help with the structure of the cookie and makes them chewy.
- Vanilla Extract: Enhances the flavour of the chocolate.
- Banana: I used 1 ripe medium banana to add sweetness and flavour.
- Nutella: The best hazelnut spread, that makes these cookies irresistible.
- Chocolate Chips: I used 1 cup of chocolate chips in this recipe. You can add ¼ cup more after they come out of the oven to make them look even prettier.
How to make Nutella Banana Cookies
You can have the cookie dough ready in under 10 minutes! Because these cookies have both Nutella and banana, they require at least 2 hours of chilling time, otherwise the cookies will spread and turn into a gloopy mess. I like to prepare the dough one day ahead before baking.
- Whisk the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugars. In another large bowl, mix the butter until smooth and creamy, add sugars and continue mixing until pale yellow and fluffy.
- Add the rest of wet ingredients. Mix banana, egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract until combined. Beat in ¼ cup Nutella until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Add the rest of Nutella. Beat it for a few seconds until big streaks of Nutella appear. Don’t over-mix it. The dough will be thick and slightly sticky.
- Chill the dough. Cover the dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days. This step is crucial!
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Roll cookie dough into balls. About 1.5 tbsp dough per cookie.
- Bake. Bake them for about 13-15 minutes. The centres will appear soft and the edges should be golden-brown.
- Cool the cookies. Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer them to a cooling rack and cool completely.
You can sprinkle them with flaky sea salt (I just love an amazing sweet and salty combination) and press some chocolate chips on top of the Nutella banana cookies.
Make ahead and freezing instructions
You can make ahead the cookie dough and chill it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to bake, take them out, let them sit at room temperature for 10 minutes and then roll them into balls.
Is super easy to freeze them too – after the dough has chilled in the refrigerator, roll them into balls and place them on a baking sheet in the freezer. Let them sit for 1 hour, then place them into a ziplock bag, labelling it with the date and whatever you find useful (the baking temperature, recipe name, time). Freeze them for up to 3 months. When you want to bake the cookies, preheat your oven according to recipe instructions and bake them 1-2 minutes longer. There’s no need to thaw them.
Nutella Banana Cookies with Chocolate Chips
- 2 ⅓ cups flour all-purpose
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 banana ripe
- ½ cup Nutella divided
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or hand-held electric mixer beat softened unsalted butter until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat on medium-high speed until fluffy and pale yellow. Whisk in banana, egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract until combined. Beat in ¼ cup Nutella until combined.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. Add chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed. Add the remaining ¼ cup Nutella and gently stir it in, until big streaks appear and not fully mixed. The dough will be thick and slightly sticky. Cover it tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days. Chilling is required.
- Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Scoop 1.5 tbsp cookie dough and roll into balls. Arrange 2-3 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until slightly golden brown around the edges. Rotate the pan halfway through baking. If the cookies are too puffy, tap the baking sheet twice to help them spread. The cookies will look soft in the centers when you remove them from the oven.
- Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt if desired, transfer to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.