Another delicious, flavour packed pasta dish is here to fulfil your carb cravings. This Creamy Chicken and Peas Pasta is definitely what you need to prepare for your next weeknight dinner. It’s loaded with crispy bacon, oven-roasted chicken seasoned with Za’atar, bright green sautéed peas, a creamy, rich sauce, beautiful farfalle pasta and, of course, lots of Parmesan cheese. You can have this ready to eat in under 40 minutes.
Ingredients used in this Creamy Pasta
The chicken and peas combination is quite a classic. Add crispy bacon and some pasta and you’ve got yourself a delicious meal.
- Chicken: I used chicken breast, but you definitely can use chicken thighs for extra flavour.
- Bacon: It adds a crispy texture. I cooked it in the oven to achieve that super crispy texture, but you can also cook it in the pan.
- Olive Oil: Adds extra flavour and helps the chicken to become golden-brown.
- Za’atar: It’s a Middle Eastern spice blend that mostly consists of oregano, thyme, marjoram, sumac and sesame seeds. I love seasoning chicken with it and also adding it to all kind of dips, hummus especially.
- Pasta: I used farfalle pasta, it’s super cute. Orecchiette and penne are amazing options.
- Unsalted Butter: Lots of flavour and richness.
- Garlic: Adds a nutty taste.
- Peas: You can use either fresh or frozen, with no need to thaw. They’re creamy, sweet and tender.
- Sugar: This brings out the natural sweet flavour of the peas. Also, it helps them caramelise a little bit.
- Heavy Cream: For that rich, creamy sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese: You can’t have pasta without Parmesan cheese!
- Smoked Paprika and Cayenne Pepper: For a little spiciness and smokiness.
You can serve this chicken and peas pasta with more Parmesan cheese grated on top, Za’atar seasoning and freshly ground black pepper.
How to prepare Creamy Chicken and Peas Pasta
This recipe, like many other pasta dishes is ready in no time. It will take you about 40 minutes or less.
Prepare the chicken and bacon
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. On a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper (for easy cleanup) place bacon strips and chicken breasts. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with Za’atar seasoning, salt and freshly ground black pepper both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Transfer to the oven. While the chicken and bacon are in the oven, start preparing the pasta, peas and sauce.
- The bacon will be ready first, after about 20 minutes. Take it out and set it aside.
- Let the chicken in for 5-10 minutes more or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. It’s so important to check the internal temperature – this way you’ll have a juicy piece of chicken.
- Crumble the bacon and dice the chicken.
Prepare the pasta and peas
- While the chicken is in the oven, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season heavily with salt and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Melt butter in a large skillet, add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add peas and sauté until cooked through and slightly caramelised but still bright green, about 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle sugar and stir.
- Add heavy cream and cook for 2 minutes.
- Reserve some of the pasta water and drain the pasta.
Assembly of the pasta dish
- Add drained pasta, diced chicken and crumbled bacon to the peas and sauce skillet.
- Stir to coat the ingredients with the sauce.
- Add Parmesan cheese, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and stir until combined. Stir in reserved pasta water if necessary.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese, Za’atar seasoning and freshly ground black pepper.
Creamy Chicken and Peas Pasta
- 2 small chicken breasts
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp Za'atar seasoning
- ½ lb farfalle pasta
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ lb frozen peas
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated, divided
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°C. Place chicken and bacon strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season both sides of the chicken with salt, freshly ground black pepper and Za'atar. Add olive oil to coat the chicken. Transfer to the oven and bake the bacon until crisp and golden-brown, about 20 minutes. Bake the chicken for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- While the chicken is in the oven, bring water to a boil in a large pot. Generously season with salt, add farfalle pasta and cook according to package instructions, stirring occasionaly.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Then add frozen peas and cook until cooked through and slightly caramelised, about 5-7 minutes. Add sugar and stir until combined. Stir in heavy cream and cook for 2 minutes.
- Crumble the bacon strips and chop baked chicken into bite-sized pieces. Reserve some of the pasta water and drain the farfalle.
- Add the chicken, bacon and pasta to the skillet with the peas and the sauce. Add half of the Parmesan cheese, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and taste for seasoning. Stir to coat the ingredients in the sauce. Add pasta water if the sauce is too thick.
- Serve with the rest of grated Parmesan cheese, freshly ground black pepper and Za'atar seasoning.