Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Unfortunately, I don’t always have time to prepare something special. But I’m trying my best to have a balanced meal. I usually eat something sweet and easy to put together such as oatmeal, pastry or a PB and banana sandwich alongside a big glass of milk. Therefore, this Baked Zucchini Omelette Recipe is a bit different, a savory breakfast with a fluffy texture and bright flavors. Some sweet options for your next breakfast are my Fluffy Pancakes.
I just love this zucchini omelette because it’s super healthy (if you don’t add the cheese). Also, it’s packed with all those vegetables that are about to go off in your fridge. Do you have a handful of baby spinach or mushrooms left over? You can toss them in! This seems to be an effortless way to use up some leftovers and avoid food waste.
Make Ahead Instructions:
This baked omelette can be made ahead. You just have to make sure to cool the pie completely and then cover it with aluminum foil and place it in the fridge. Then, when you want to reheat it, place it in the oven covered (to prevent burning) for 15-20 minutes. You could also heat it in the microwave.
Seasoning is an extremely important part in this zucchini pie. It helps bringing out the fresh flavors of the vegetables and spicing up the bland egg mixture: I used hot smoked paprika, a pinch of cayenne, salt, freshly ground black pepper and some fresh herbs – basil and lots of parsley. Oregano would do just fine.
In terms of cheese I used Emmental cheese and mozzarella. Other amazing options are sharp cheddar, Gruyere and Parmesan. Aside this baked zucchini omelette, I like to have some fresh toast, a yogurt lime dip and a little bit of sweet chili sauce for extra heat.
This baked zucchini omelette has a fluffy, sponge like texture, with a crisp, caramelized top. It’s a perfect savory breakfast.
Baked Zucchini Omelette Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 150 g cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 120 g sweet corn fresh or frozen
- 1 medium zucchini sliced into ½ rounds
- 7 large eggs
- 80 ml milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 bunch basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1 bunch parsley leaves roughly chopped
- 60 g Emmental cheese shredded
- 60 g mozzarella cheese shredded, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- black pepper freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add garlic and yellow onion and cook for 5-7 minutes until translucent. Then add in tomatoes, red bell pepper and corn, seasoning with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk, flour, basil, parsley, Emmental, half of the mozzarella cheese, 1 tsp salt, freshly ground black pepper, cayenne and smoked paprika.
- Spread out all the veggies, including the zucchini into a 20 by 40 cm dish greased with a little bit of butter. Pour egg mixture over the vegetables. Sprinkle with the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the egg mixture sets and becomes golden-brown. Remove from heat and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving. Top with fresh parsley.