I’ve always considered tarts and pies were such a hassle to make, but this Apple Galette is both easy and fast! The buttery crust is incredibly easy to make and roll. The only downside is that you have to work quickly and it requires chilling time. Galettes are a more rustic tart, but equally scrumptious. You could fill it with a variety of fruits, top it with jellies, chocolate, caramel or even chopped nuts and berries.
Ingredients used in Apple Galette:
The dough is extremely easy to make and the whole process takes just 5 minutes. When you roll it, don’t worry about it being a perfect circle, any shape will work.
- All-purpose Flour: This is the structure of the dough.
- Granulated White Sugar: Not only it sweetens the crust, but also intensifies browning.
- Unsalted butter: It adds incredible flavour and flaky texture.
- Ice Water: Brings the dough together. If it feels dry to the touch, add one more tbsp of ice water. Adding more prevents the dough from cracking when you’re rolling it.
Filling and Bourbon Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
The filling is quite simple, but has amazing flavour. I like to make the filling right after the dough so the apples have time to lose some moisture. Also, avoid piling up the filling, because the crust will become mushy.
- Apples: I’ve used Granny Smith apples, but Pink Lady would be my first choice.
- Brown Sugar: Sweetness.
- Flour: To absorb some moisture.
- Lemon Juice: Prevents browning and adds brightness.
- Cinnamon and Nutmeg: Apples and cinnamon, soo original.
For this apple galette I chose to drizzle a lot of homemade bourbon caramel sauce. It’s made with 5 ingredients and it takes just 10 minutes on the stove. You’ll have the ingredient amounts for 250 ml of caramel sauce, so you’ll have plenty of it left after you use it in this recipe. You can eat the rest with my Easy Fluffy Pancakes Recipe.
Make Ahead Instructions:
If you want to make the dough and filling ahead of time, you can refrigerate it up to 3 days. Also, you can freeze the crust for up to 3 months. When you want to bake it, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before rolling. The bourbon caramel sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Classic Apple Galette with Bourbon Caramel Sauce
For the dough
- 190 g flour all-purpose
- 50 g granulated white sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 115 g unsalted butter cold, cubed
- 60 ml water ice cold
For the filling
- 2-3 large apples sliced thinly
- 50 g brown sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tbsp flour all-purpose
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- ¼ tsp nutmeg ground
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 tbsp milk for egg wash
For the bourbon caramel sauce
- 200 g granulated white sugar
- 60 ml water
- 120 ml heavy cream room temperature
- 60 g unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp bourbon
- ½ tsp salt
- Make the dough: Mix the flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and cut it in with two forks or a pastry cutter until ½ cm crumbs appear. You can also use the food processor, just pulse a few times. Add the water and stir until the crust comes together. If the dough is too dry, add 1 tbsp water. Gently knead the dough a couple of times on a lightly floured surface. Shape the crust into a disc, cover it with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- Make the filling as the dough chills: Mix the brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and apple slices in a large bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit in the refrigerator until the crust is ready.
- Make the bourbon caramel sauce: Bring the heavy cream and unsalted butter to room temperature. Gently stir the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Place over a medium-high heat and don't stir or touch the pan until the sugar has caramelised. The color of the mixture will change gradually. It will start transparent, then a golden color and lastly a dark amber. When it starts changing colors, it will darken quickly. It will take about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and remove the saucepan from the heat. Right away, slowly and carefully pour heavy cream into the sugar mixture, whisking vigorously to incorporate the cream. The mixture will bubble up. Lastly, mix in the butter until combined. Add vanilla extract, salt and bourbon and whisk until combined.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lighly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 30 cm circle and transfer to the baking sheet.
- Place the apple slices on the dough, leaving a 2 cm border all around. Don't add the juices accumulated in the bowl. Fold the edges of the crust over the apples, gently pressing the dough to stick. Drizzle 3 tbsp bourbon caramel sauce on the apples, but not on the crust.
- Make the egg wash: beat the egg with 1 tbsp milk. Brush the crust edges with egg wash and sprinkle with 1-2 tbsp brown sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden-brown and the filling is bubbling. Cool down for 10 minutes, drizzle more bourbon caramel sauce if desired, slice and serve with vanilla bean ice cream.