Even though this Apple Cider Chicken Thighs recipe screams fall vibes, you can also have it for dinner on a cozy winter night. It’s such a satisfying dish to make and delicious to eat. Also, it takes almost no time to cook and that apple cider glaze is mouth-watering.
The sweet potato, apple and fresh rosemary combo is unexpectedly tasty. Add in some juicy chicken thighs and you’ve got yourself a well balanced meal. Some other amazing healthy recipes you could try are my Braised Chicken with Figs and Cauliflower and this lovely Roasted Sea Bream with Vegetables.
How to make Apple Cider Chicken Thighs
Did I say that this apple cider chicken thighs recipe is easy to make already? Well, let me explain: it will be ready and on your dinner table in 40 minutes and it’s as delicious as it looks.
- Toss the sweet potato, apples and chopped fresh rosemary with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Sear the chicken thighs in olive oil for 5 minutes until crispy. Set aside.
- Add apple cider, Dijon mustard, deglaze the pan and cook for 5-10 minutes. Then add butter and sweet potato mixture and toss.
- Return the chicken thighs to the skillet, add rosemary sprigs and roast for 20 minutes at 220°C.
Ingredients in Apple Cider Chicken Thighs
- Sweet Potato: The main vegetable in this recipe.
- Apples: I always like adding fruits to my main course dishes. I used the Granny Smith kind. Unfortunately, they were kinda watery. But it took me a little bit more time to thicken the sauce, that’s all.
- Fresh Rosemary: This is the best herb to use with any kind of potatoes.
- Chicken: I’ve used chicken thighs in this recipe because I love the added crispy texture of the skin. You could also make this with chicken breast, but you should skip the searing part in step 2. Instead, roast it for 7-10 minutes longer.
- Apple Cider: This is the base of the sauce. It creates a sweet and tasty sauce.
- Dijon Mustard: It helps to cut through the overall sweetness of the dish and gives some acidity.
- Butter: It’s used for flavour and richness.
- Honey: To get that caramelisation process going. In addition, it adds extra flavour.
Apple Cider Chicken Thighs Recipe
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 2 apples sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 6 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 160 ml apple cider
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 220°C. In a medium bowl, add sweet potatoes, apples and chopped rosemary. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and toss to coat.
- In a large ovenproof skillet add olive oil and heat over a medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs skin-side down and sear for 5 minutes or until golden-brown and crispy. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add apple cider, honey and Dijon mustard and deglaze the bottom of the pan. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until the mixture has slightly thickened and it coats the back of a spoon. Add the butter and the sweet potato mixture, tossing.
- Return the chicken thighs to the skillet, skin-side up. Add fresh rosemary sprigs and transfer skillet to the oven.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 74°C and the sweet potatoes are tender. If the potatoes need longer to cook, take out the chicken thighs and continue cooking until tender.